Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Friday...at last

The bright California sun broke through my eyelids a little too early...but alas another busy day. I had to get the key from the house I am staying at next so made myself get dressed, find myself to the mission district and find this house. After almost a week here I am finally getting the feel of navigating this city (with LOTs of friends' GPS help & stopping for directions...hey I'm not ashamed lol)

The house is GORGEOUS...but I will wax poetic about that later. Today is chock full of yummy goodness.

Since Danielle lived somewhat close to here we decided to meet in the middle to go to the sex tour.By the time we met up, we had 5 minutes to make a 45 minute muni ride....TAXI!!!

Luckily the cab driver was wicked cool....Danielle and I were full of giggles and it didn't help that we were going up & down the infamous curvy streets of San Francisco. Butterflies going 10 miles an hour...really???

Almost as the destination we saw our group hanging out on a sidewalk ....yay! Found them...10 minutes late...but no worries the intern Richard had missed the train so they were waiting for him.

We walked down to the Haight district...and stopped in front of a house...This was Charles Manson's house right before he started the murders...

One of our very groovy tour directors...they were both grads of the Sexuality program at SF State.
Me as a blond....Our fabulous program director Chris...
Nice legs...

We came across Buena Vista park...famous for its "opportunities" due to lots of trees and covering... nice for sleeping, recreational habits....cruising...

As we continued walking forever...up and down the hills...we came across this lovely intersection....

Our other tour director....
Finally a place to pee....back at Harveys...he he. Standing in line we were watching the Little Mermaid...how awesome is that?
Can't really tell it's the Little Mermaid...

945 Castro...the site of Harvey Milk's camera shop. Was interesting to hear how Hollywood changed te city for the movie....

On our way past Delores Park we came across the women's center http://womensbuilding.org/content/ This picture doesn't do it justice...to stand in front of the building was intense...and the artwork is continued on the side of the building. I plan on gong back to sit & stare. Apparently Georgia O'Keefe is represented as well as Audre Lorde? Check out the website for details...

We made our way to Good Vibrations but before we went in we perused the alleyway next to the shop. The alley was filled with amazing artwork, some that had been there for awhile...I have tons of pics but here is my fave...

Exhausted from walking ten thousand miles and starving, Danielle and I wanted nothing more than to veg for a few...we found a groovy Irish Pub...it felt SO good to sit.

Danielle had an amazing dish that was nachos but instead of chips it was potatoes...nifty & yummy!

We had to meet Kai at Delores park so after sufficient recovery we hobbled our way over there.

TRANS RALLY!!!

Here is Chubb a wicked cool drag king troupe...super talented.

The people spread out Delores Park.... having some wine in the park before the march...

One of the signs we were walking behind...
And the Three Musketeers marching our asses off...
I couldn't help but be so overcome with emotion as I walked the streets. First, the city opens up the streets and blocks off traffic so those that support transgender rights can march. Where else exists the freedom and city support to do this?
There were so many beautiful faces waving and honking in support, and beautiful people marching. 3 trans women did the quintessential baring of the breasts...more bravery than I have!
I thought about the trans community at home and how there isn't the freedom to march...much less the freedom to openly walk the city without jeers, taints, derogatory comments.
I knew this San Francisco experience was the place I was meant to be...and have been waiting for an a-ha moment when I come across the direction I am seeking. I had that moment yesterday (Tuesday June 30) at a lecture with Lisa Diamond. Her presentation on the intersectionality of gender is exactly the knowledge I have been seeking. She is a professor at the University of Utah and her work has stretched the gender perspective. Instead of the heteronormative perspective and including gay/lesbian identities as many sexuality/gender research has done, she opens the idea of gender to include multiplicity of genders. The trans experience surpasses the binary of flipping from one gender to the other. That ideology reduces the gender fluidness in many trans and gender queer people.
I will also wax poetic more about this as I get through her writings and attend another lecture of hers tomorrow.
I still have 2 more pride days to blog about...phew!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment